People go to Siargao to surf, but this may come to a surprise to some people that Siargao actually has a collection of good beaches — and one of them is the Magpupungko Beach.
The Magpupungko Beach is a 1 hour 30 minute ride from General Luna by motorbike. Price range for a round trip ride costs Php 800 – 1000, 800 for non-peak months and 1000 for peak months or on the day itself booking. The motor can accommodate up to two people.
I lost the number of the motorcycle that we used but I have another contact. His number is 0910 382 4225. He was the driver who accompanied us to the market and offered his services for Magpupungko. But since we already had a contact, we had to say no.
A few reminders before you plan on going here:
- Go during low tide! The highlight of this beach are the tidal pools and if you want to swim for a long time, maximise your time.
- We saw at least four tidal pools in the area. The first one is the least deep where you can go cliff diving but most of the people flock here. The second pool is large, the third is small and the fourth one we did not get to explore much because we need to go back and look out for our bags. The best tidal pool for me was the second one.
- ONLY BRING A WATERPROOF CAMERA AND MONEY. Do not plan on bringing any bags, or any extra clothes because there is no bathroom and no place to put your bags on except to hang it on the rocks. If you want to explore the area, it will be a hassle for you to bring your bags and if you plan on hanging it on the rocks, you have to keep on looking out for it because there are a lot of people in the area. But if you insist on bringing bags, make sure you bring a plastic container for that so the thing can float beside you. We actually saw one at the beach!
- Have a heavy meal before you plan on going here. There are a few stores in the area but our driver said that it will take a lot of time to cook the meals, so we did not eat here.
- I have read that the ROCKS ARE VERY SHARP. Buy aqua shoes if you want to go cliff diving, and never attempt to take photos with the waves. We wanted to have a shot with the waves but we were caught off guard and we scratched our legs in the process.
- Bring snorkeling gear 🙂
Magpupungko is really one of nature’s wonders! I have never seen anything fascinating my whole life. Have you ever feel that you wasted time at the beach because you can’t swim since the waters are so shallow but when the waters become deep, you are afraid to swim because the sea might just swallow you whole? Well the tidal pools are really meant for people who wanted to swim at calm deep waters.
I am ending this post with the lyrics from one of my favorite song that I feel sums up what I feel about Magpupunko:
Through all the things my eyes have seen, the best by far is you.
– Cecilia and the Satellite by Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness